View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 PM

Citric Acid Source, Why, Amount, & Flushing

• My average temps dropped by 5 degrees around town. Big difference was cooling capability on long hills. Probably 15 degree difference.
  • Why? Improves coolant contact with the water jacket surface.
  • You can buy Citric Acid at your local home brew supply store for about $3.00.
  • I went conservative as well and used 1/2 cup acid/gallon of warm water then topped off with water.
  • Ran it for about 5-7 minutes with the heater turned off then drained.
  • Let it completely cool (3 or so hrs), refilled with distilled h2O....repeated three times with the heater turned on.
  • Also drained via the block valve.
  • Also should remove the thermostat if you are going to do this because flaked material will probably get caught up in it. I forgot to remove mine (new) on the first drain. Pulled it out and sure enough some debris was lodged in it.
  • I've since added "WaterWetter" by Redline. Supposed to also increase cooling surface / coolant contact. Seems to help.
  • Currently running 2/3 distilled water & 1/3 MB Coolant.
I'm in Arizona this week and it is hovering around 100 F. A/C blasting on yesterday's drive up to Flagstaff (4,000' climb) at 70 - 75 mph and running between 80C (down hill) & 95C (long steep grades) water temps...

Beautiful. Wasn't that way prior to the flush!

P.S. Don't put cold water in your hot dry motor!!!

1986 300SDL 440,xxx

Last edited by 86-300sdl; 05-05-2011 at 11:54 PM.