View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya Mar View Post
Army,

I can remove the tach amplifier bracket from the wagon, that's no problem. I'm also going to take the tachometer and the wiring from the wagon and install the clock from the 300D in it's place. I won't connect the clock but it will be a good space filler.

But regarding the tach sensor bracket attached the engine...I don't think there is enough clearance to get a wrench in there to loosen those 24mm bolts...and if I did, would coolant pour out? Why is that bracket important for the wagon? Is it doing more than just holding the tach sensor?

Can you send me some more info about where to find the bracket for my 300D non turbo? Since it's a euro import it doesn't have the bracket.

Thanks!
Ahhhh - you are still using the wagon then? It isn't going to be relegated to "parts wagon" then?

OK then the bracket on the engine is this one on my car:-

The only thread / bolt that you can see in this picture is the bit that holds the sensor.

In this picture you can see that the hole which this bolt threads through is oval:-

This oval slot is the adjustment for the sensor so that it detects the pulse at the right point. (I haven't worked out why this is important just yet - but it is in the FSM so I'm blindly following instructions at the moment)

Right back to the bracket. It does 2 things:-

1) It is a pointer for the position of the crankshaft - on the crankshaft balancer you'll see timing marks. The second link that I posted explains how to check that the pointer is in the correct position. (There is no adjustment on the bracket - so I don't quite see what you are meant to do if it doesn't line up properly)

2) It holds the tachometer sensor on that separate bit (the bolt etc in the first picture above)

If you undo the bolts that hold this bracket in place it is possible that you'll get engine oil coming out.

Do you not have a bracket on your normally aspirated OM617?

EDIT:-

If you are using both cars you are going to need a timing pointer on both vehicles - you can't check chain elongation without a pointer for starters...
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!

Last edited by Stretch; 05-06-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: I made a correction and added a bit