View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh View Post
I've had my '90 300D less then a year. The PO wasn't terrible but he wasn't very good when it came to caring for the car. So I'm going through and doing a thorough job.

I flushed my system about 2 weeks ago. I used distilled water for everything. Pure water is an amazing solvent.

First I drained what was in the system, then I filled it with tap water, ran the vehicle on the road for 10 minutes or so with the heater on high. Then I came home, emptied the system and filled with distilled water and a commercial citric product (I'm not saying is better then using the pure crystal as you are, I'm just saying what I did) and drove it for 15 minutes with theater on high as per the instructions on the bottle. Then I came home, flushed the system and filled it a second time with distilled water and one bottle of the commercial citric flush, drove for 15, etc.

Then I drained again, partially filled with distilled water, added Purple Ice (similar to Wetter Water) and added enough quality anti-freeze (designed for aluminum systems) to obtain a 40% AF/Water ratio. I live in the SF Bay area so the 40% mixture is fine, maximum protection is around 60% but the system will run cooler at the lower concentrations of anti-freeze.

I'm sharing what I did. I had my reasons but there are a lot of experienced people on this board and many of their comments are valuable.
if this is the exact procedure you followed, you still have a lot of acid in your system.
I'd dump it ALL and flush several more times with tap water, then fill with distilled water, drive for 10 minutes, then dump THAT then fill with a good % mix of coolant,water wetter and distilled water.

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!