View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
I'd probably lift the car - evenly with both sides on jack stands - to remove it. The UCA will be applying torque to the front end of the bar and when you remove the firewall brackets that may push the unrestrained bar backwards and upwards.

But they need to be torqued down with weight on wheels to assist in getting the proper ride height and torsion on the torsion bar. Note on the first page of that section in the FSM:

"Mount and tighten torsion bar bearing on front end and support of upper control arm on torsion bar only in the position corresponding to a condition ready for driving."

The logic seems to be if the wheels are hanging when the rubber is tightened up, then the suspension will have to fight that tension in order to settle. Tighten it at the normal ride height.

Also make sure your compression washers on the UCA portion go back in correctly if you're removing them or replacing them. A digital pic pre-repair is always helpful.

POR-15 and paint that battery tray while it's out...
Good call!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!