View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
I resealed mine, but didn't fully disassemble so I can relate to the "how can I can make it like new" desire.

But some wear and slop is inevitable and you might be going too far with the 6 Ncm friction setting. What are you going to do when the worm gear and the piston don't meet the tolerance? I checked the FSM and it says they're matched at the factory for the best fit.

Maybe try tightening that if the tools aren't too pricey, but it may be a wild goose chase. I'd consider putting new bearings in (either 6 mm or 7 mm, if I recall) and that may tighten the steering a bit - quality steel, of course.

How's the wear on the Pitman shaft?
Hi Yak - I'm not alone - thanks!

The Pitmam shaft is fine - in fact everything seems fine - except for this floppynees...

I was just thinking that it might be one of those bits that gets installed correctly and then within 30 seconds of use it is out of limits as a result of the design. So I was kind of thinking that it might be a "don't worry about that" thing it isn't worth the hassle...

...but then again I see the challenge!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!