View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 PM

W115 240D help me weigh my replacement engine options.

I got my 240D to fire up again yesterday, needed about 75% throttle to keep it running. Things were going ok running rough but smoke diminishing, diesel purge going in. Oil pressure good, then it made a clank sound and in the time it took the thought nailing or rod sound to cross my mind it went boom. Maybe 3 seconds from clank to boom, oil pouring on the ground.

So I started contemplating / googling my options and they appear to be:

1) A used 616.916 from a 1975 240D $1200.

Pros:
1 year warranty
Free shipping
I not sure about this but the parts locator service that found it says used parts are graded by insurance company standards and this engine has a grade A rating, "Like New" compression tested.
Obviously a perfect fit
I have known good parts from my engine to swap onto this one if need be.

Cons:
All I have to go on condition wise is seller’s word.
$1200.00 seems a little high for an unknown quantity. However, far and away cheaper than any other 616.916 I inquired about. next closest $1500.

2) A local 616.912 from a w123 $500 Seller is a repair shop who bought it as a test bed for some kind of fuel injection modification but never followed through.

Pros:
Price
The engine is on a test stand with electric radiator fan and will be run for me.
I believe it has more HP than the 616.916

Cons:
Oil filter housing location and other accessory locations, not a straight drop in.
IP shuts engine down with vacuum so I am not sure how to adapt this
I would like to keep AC, not sure how to achieve that.

3) I have a w123 300D turbo motor parts car that runs.

Pros:
I already own it
HP + 4-speed manual

Cons:
Seems like quite a project
Flywheel balancing yada yada yada
Shoehorn required to install.
+ all the cons from the 616.912

4) Part it out and look for another running car.

5) Wait for another 616.916 to pop up in my area.

The car body and chassis is in nice shape, 1 of the POs put a lot of work into chasing rust and then had a really nice repaint done. The interior could be perfect pretty easily. On the down side it had a fender bender a few years back, all damage repaired before repaint but now has salvage title.

SO what are your opinions?

Last edited by billhard; 05-11-2011 at 07:49 PM.