View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM

try rotating the engine by hand until the points open and the rubbing block on the points is sitting on the highest part of the cam lobe. Open the points until you have a gap of about .014 and then try running the engine. You should have a dwell reading somewhere around 50 degress. If it's a bit more than that you can try closing or opening a bit until you reach the 50 degrees area + or - 2 degrees.
Check the shaft for wear by pusing sideways on it. Any play in the bearings or cam lobe shaft to main shaft will affect dwell angle at higher RPM's.
I recently rebuilt a distributor for a guy and the main shaft was actually bent causing three cylinders to fire properly but the other three were about 10 degrees out. If number one was in time ( the one you use to set timing ) four, five and six wouldn't be and would very likely ping on those three cylinders. I've rebult over a hundred distributors but this is the first one with a bent shaft. I have no idea how this could of been bent as the shaft is very hard metal.