View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
User Especial

To address the two previous posts, the issue addressed by the OP is not the understanding of what each expression means, it is the random reassignment of the use or interpretation of these terms.

Example: Many many times we'll see comments like:
Quote:
...It wont turn over
After several posts asking for information about engine turning or firing or starting and stopping......yada yada yada, clearly everyone going with different interpretations of what the poster meant, we later find that perhaps the motor spins over but will not fire.

Example:
Quote:
OMG it wont start
same as above, lots of follow up questions, and the issue is, "Turn key, nothing happens".

Clearly if we come up with a better system, they'll send us a better idiot.

This thread is simply about adopting a clear verbiage to describe a specific condition. Problem will never be solved, but perhaps reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renntag View Post
I have found that our usage of English in so many areas is becoming more washed due to laziness than anything else. I wish more people would take the time to listen or look at what they are trying to communicate (Text or verbal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
More washed?
Perhaps not the best word choice. But my point was that as more and more slang terms and text usage finds its way into daily language, substance is lost.

Quote:
Reminds me of one of my favorites: the vibration dampener.
Exactly.
how about redundancy? Good for data management, but not language.
"Whole entire"

Quote:
I wish more people would take the time to listen or look at what they are trying to communicate (Text or verbal).
Quote:
Not necessarily in that order.
Thank you. Please notice I didn't say "respectively" ?

Quote:
I agree that this term shoudl be eliminated simply due to its ambiguity and chronic misuse.
Quote:
And everyone shoudl proofread to eliminate chronic misspelling!
Indeed. You got me. Fumbled on the key board. Nice way to respectfully follow suit and continue the new spelling.
98 E300D *sold
86 300SDL *sold and made flawless 10 hour journey to new home.