View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 PM

I don't like this thread due to the incorrect info sprinkled throughout. I've drawn a schematic and included a labelled photo of what I'll call the fader harness. It starts at the radio with 4 wires, the two black (-) wires are spliced with four more black wires at the two solder blobs. So you've now got one black "input" per blob and two black "outputs" per blob or four total black "outputs". Each of these black outputs goes to a corner connector (white = left, black = right, they're also marked R and L).

The colored wires from the radio go directly to the fader. That's one red (or red/black) and one green (or green/black). At the fader, there's a rheostat and four outputs two each red (or R/BK) and green (or G/BK). The fader basically splits the one red (or green) input into two each outputs. These four outputs go to one each corner red to the left and green to the right. These four colored wires join up with the black wires from the above paragraph.

The front speaker connectors are actually soldered (the long way around) to the black wire at the HU radio connectors, and the front colored wires are connected at the fader.

If you run new wires for the fronts (pretty easy in the W123) and simply unplug the rears DOWNSTREAM of the fader, then the fader harness stays intact. You don't need to run new wires to the rear.

The numbering code between the drawings is:

ONE: four wires at the head unit, red + bk; grn + bk (red and green and red/bk, grn/bk are used interchangeably in the drawing since I didn't have a stripe tool). The black wires from here go to---
TWO: two solder blobs in the sheath. The colored wires go to---
THREE: the fader, where they split again and go to four plugs at ---
FOUR: four speaker connectors, two in the console and two near the speakers in the dash where the wires rejoin their black counterparts last seen dividing at the solder blobs.
Attached Thumbnails
w123: Speaker Wiring Myths Debunked (Diagram) Bypassing the fader-harness.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coupe harness.pdf (6.5 KB, 1175 views)