View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM

1980 300TD possibility

I have been talking with the father-in-law of one of the guys at my station. He has a 1980 300 TD, non-turbo that is just taking up space and I am looking to get rid of my commuter Honda with almost 300K.

The current owner (2nd owner since 1985) and I just spent the better part of an hour talking on the phone. He will be emailing me pictures in the next day or so so I can get eyes on it before I get to see it. He lives about 1/2 to where I work so it will just be a matter of trying to coordinate my night shift with his life. Good thing he isn't in a hurry to sell and, according to the son-in-law, doesn't want it to go to just anyone.

What should I be looking for as a possible major issue with this car? Not expecting rust to be an issue as it is a California car from day one and the SLS, if so equipped should be similar to the system on my old 560SEL.

Can't wait for the pictures as I am starting to get the itch. At least this shouldn't be anything like my trying to rescue that 240D from the side of a barn a few years back . Whunter knows that story.

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI...at least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.