View Single Post
Old 10-02-2002, 01:43 AM

My suggestion is to consider changing out the spring collars, reducing the the front and rears by one bump, respectively.

I have to say that all of this seems weird to me (not your car specifically) but why are the cars rising after replacing the shocks.

I've checked around and the supposedly technical reasons for ride height relating to US cars is have the bumpers match the "Federal Bumper heights". I know that the European and outside US spec cars are almost lower. I have seen this in Germany, personally.

Additionally, I have learned that the "ngle of the suspension arm" is the way to measure proper ride height. In otherwords, the car on a lift which supports the wheels, is used to raise the car so that one can measure, for an example, the front control arm in relation to the sub-frame it is mounted on. Same with the rear.

In searching through the threads on this site I have found several references to how many "bumps" front and rear, and also one member actually measure his car's height at the rubber jacket pads, behind the front wheels and ahead of the rears.

Here are some threads regarding this topic:

Suspension height for a '91 300E; Meaurements

One member contributed these measurements before and after doing the "sportline" suspension mods:

Body Height

Before:

Rear - 8" (Ground to rubber pad on bottom of rocker panel in front of rear wheel)
Front - 7.5" (Ground to center of hex bolt under rocker panel behind front wheel)

After:

Rear - 7.75" (Ground to rubber pad on bottom of rocker panel in front of rear wheel)
Front - 7.25" (Ground to center of hex bolt under rocker panel behind front wheel)

The above section can be found at: http://www.peachparts.com/sportline_suspension.htm

I used two key words in searching: bumps and 124

Haasman
'91 300E-Went to Ex
'65 911 Coupe (#302580)