View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 PM

Post 94 C280 (W202) that I'm looking to buy

I'm looking at a 1994 C280 (W202). This is a nice car and it runs/drives great. About 148,000 on it. But it has a few issues.

First, what is a reasonable price to pay for a C280 of this vintage in nice driver condition with everything working? I don't mean NADA or the KBB but what are real world prices. I'm thinking that he's got an over inflated feeling for what these are worth without any problems.

I don't think the guy selling the car is a car guy. And it's his mothers car (she can't drive anymore) so although he has driven the car he really hasn't spent much time with it.

The issues:

1. It seems the blower motor is not running. When I push the various buttons on the HVAC control panel I can hear what sounds like the dampers moving but I can't hear the fan run on any speed. The a/c compressor DOES come on. What fuse supplies power to the fan motor and where is it. (Anyone have an outline of the fuse panel and location for this car?) I understand that fan controllers are a not uncommon failure and that blower motors do go bad. Where are each of these and what's it take to get at 'em?

2. The duct system.... The guy selling the car says that he used to be able to feel a little bit of air coming out of the center dash register. But he didn't know if the blower fan was running or not (remember, not a car guy). So I'm thinking that going down the road with the system on but the fan not running he may have been feeling air coming out but not because of the blower. However I have been reading about vacuum leaks and duct damper door actuator issues. Also have been told there are sometimes issues with the in dash button/control unit. So what's it take to get at those buggers? Also read about broken vacuum manifolds. So where is the vacuum source for this system?

Is there a cabin air/pollen filter on this model?

3. The sunroof has track issues. The little arms that lift the back of the movable panel are broken on both sides. I can see the drivers side slide moving back and forth but the passenger side is back a ways and does not move. So what's involved in fixing this mess? Any links to pics/instructions of this procedure on a W202?

And then there is the engine wiring harness issue that this vintage of Benz either had or will have. How can I tell if the harness has been replaced with the later style of non-self destructing insulation?

Thanks in advance.
Karl M.