View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Lots of transmission, clutch and flywheel questions!!!

Hi guy's, new at peachparts forum, but I've read lots of useful threads here so I'm sure I'll get the needed help here...

So here's the plot-I'm building a drift car W201+M119+Megasquirt, future plans are to supercharge it, but thats not the current problem..

I haven't decided yet what kind of gearbox to use, for drift of course manual is better, but as you know mercedes don't really have strong manual transmissions.. So for the manuals the two transmissions I've thought about are the 190-16v's Getrag dog leg 5spd, or the 6spd manual from W210 and W203... Don't know the codes for both of them (7xx.xxx), also don't know what is their torque capacity.. So the problems with a manual transmission are a lot - belhousing probbably don't match (not sure?), what flywheel to use, and what clutch to use to handle 500+Nm... All that for the benefit of manual gearchanges and clutch-kikings...

For the automatic lots of options.. In fact not really, read a thread which really confused me, M119 as far as I know uses 722.3, but in this thread somebody wrote that not every 722.3 are the same (can handle the same torque), but since I'm not using the original engine management system, it's my easyest choice.. The question is what are the numbers 722.3xx I should be looking for if I want it to handle 500+Nm, may be even more with supercharger.. Another option is to use 5G-Tronic, with PCS (powertrain control solutions) module (really not very cheap option..)...

And whichever automatic gearbox I choose, there is the big question with the automatics and drifting - would the gearchanges be good for drifting, don't know how an automatic performs during slides.. I've seen on the gearleaver there are numbers next to the D 1-2-3-4 (722.3), so how does the transmission perform if the selector is at one of those?... Is it like you can manually go from 2nd to 3rd and the transmission stays on that gear or what?..

Please any information on the questions above would be deeply apreciated, I really hope for a week or so the gearbox question to be answered so I will be able to start looking for parts, etc...