View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 02:53 AM

124 300TD air-blower squirrel cage squeaks

Blower squeaks (should attach a Tom&Ray-mp3 of the squeal) intermittently and the sound changes, sometime it is quiet. Sound is most obvious at low fan setting. This "fan/cage" is a replacement from a friend's parts car. This car's previous blower cage thup-thup-thupped - with blades hitting the edge of the lower blower container. This cage ran true and did not hit when I replaced/tested it. I've replaced these blower cages in two 124s. It is a do-able PITA. And I'm writing to ask if anyone has tried alternative strategies.

Dealer says probably not a bearing issue. He quietly advocated drilling 1/8" holes ar the edges of the housing top (without pulling the monoblade) to aim silicone spray (low VOC not WD40) at the outer edges of the fan blade, then RTV the holes. Is he nuts? Or am I nuts for not trying it in a heartbeat?

PS A/C works, not an issue with the vac mods...this squeal also happens with the next setting over

By the way - has anyone got info on a MORE VARIABLE speed fan? the original 124 has 2 settings: High-full blast-noisy, and Low-light-slow. Plus there is the AUTO setting which seems to mean HIGH-all the time. Is there an upgrade to a more variable-speed fan?

Last edited by johnscars; 07-02-2011 at 03:06 AM.