Thread: W123 Muscle Car
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Diesel freak!

W123 Muscle Car

Hello everyone! Been off the forum for several weeks as my job has been really time consuming lately.

Last friday I had a chance to drive my boss' show quality AMC AMX SS from 1969. It has the 390 ci engine with 420 BHP. That thing is simply spectacular!! It has a 4 speed manual and a limited slip diff. If you slam the gas in any gear while coasting and it will slip the tires and start drifting.

The only downside is the usual vintage american muscle low reliability (risk of flaming). After a 40 minute drive, the alternator died, killing the battery. We towed it back to the shop and replaced the altenator and battery. After another 30 minute drive, the fuel pump died. So we got back, fixed it and went out again. Only 15 minutes later, the clutch started slipping, so we decided to park it until fixed.

After driving such a particular car, I decided I really need/want a muscle car that is fun to drive, but realiable enough to take it for a drive without needing to have a tow service number in my speed dial...

I looked around for info and it seems putting a M116 or M117 engine in a W123 chassis is a very doable project. The M117 seems to be the best route, however. It's lighter, produces more HP and it might be possible to get performance internals down the road. I also saw some info stating that the bolt pattern of the bell housing is exactly the same as the M110 and the OM617 engine, giving a chance to get a manual transmission behind this engine.

As for the project platform, a coupe W123 is the way to go. It's a great chassis which I'm familiar with, parts are readily available and it's a safe car in case of an accident. Some updates would have to be done, like late W126 front brakes, Bilstein HD shocks, Vogtland springs, 3.46 rear end (to aid the transmission stress and limit top speed) and so...

What do you guys think of such a project? Think of this as a mid-term project to be developed in a 2-3 years span.

Happy driving!

P.S.: I posted this thread in the diesel section because of its high traffic. I'm really looking forward for the members' advice.
1982 W123 300D NA Euro, 300K Miles, 4-speed manual, 3.46 rear diff, early W126 front brakes, Penta rims with 205/60R15 FH900's, custom fitted (by me) audio system, more to come into the money pit... Soon to be installed: Bilstein HD, R107 front discs and 4-piston calipers, HD Suspension springs, wagon front swaybar.