View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM

I still own a 240d four speed in storage that seems a little quicker than average. I put it in storage when we got home till I get time to find out why.

It does have a new replacement factory engine in it installed a year before I brought it. The main reason it is left to examine is the fuel milage appeared to be better than average as well.

This was not scientifically verified just how it seemed on the seventeen hundred mile trip home. Yes it was an ebay car and the vendors basically knew nothing about it.

Other than their german former mercedes benz mechanic in europe I talked to. He made a recomendation that I buy it. He personally drove it for three weeks and said I would not be dissapointed.

I hope when and if I get to it. What was experienced on that long trip home will not prove a total figment of my imagination.

I am primarily interested on why the fuel milage seemed better than it should have been. It was very hot on that trip and I have noticed older volkswagon diesels get better milage when it is very hot out. I have at the same time never heard this mentioned on the 240ds so I have to discount it.

We drove down in my wifes new at the time tdi volkswagon diesel to pick it up. Every time we fuelled up it seemed to take more fuel than the volkswagon. Still not enough more to make a lot of sense though.

One other concern is I always thought the revs were limited to protect the injection pump. The block is capable of higher revolutions. This may or may not be accurate.

Last edited by barry123400; 07-04-2011 at 12:19 PM.