View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Well the best idea posted so far is to see if the engine will run on wd40 as Kerry suggested. This is about the only way you will find out if you have adaquate compression to start.

If it will not fire then take the valve cover off and check for some valve clearance on each valve. Some people drive these cars without ever doing the valve clearances or checking them. Eventually the car will not start. The valve clearances characteristically decrease or close up with use remember.

Now if the valve clearances are reasonable. They do not need adjusted immediatly as long as there is some clearance remember.

If you find the clearances are reasonable soak the rings down with miracle mystery oil for a week as this sometimes frees up rings stuck with wvo residue. Blow out the cylinders of any remaining oil before installing the injectors or glow plugs and try the wd40 again.

Many wvo burners have been saved this way. It is nice to see at least one other person on your thread is a believer in using laquer thinner for older injection pumps as well. I use the stuff so much for so many purposes I buy it by the five gallon can.

It is reasonable to say it has saved me having to remove and kit at least five thousand dollars worth of carbs alone. The snake oil types of cleaners that are sold are just not concentrated enough to equal the laquer thinner in my opinion. Even if they were for the volume of fluid required they would be too expensive even if they worked. Laquer thinner seems to dissolve dried gas residue and many other deposits from carbs and older injection pumps quite fast. Cheap chemical as well.

I especially like it for removing oil residues as well. It dries so fast it does not hold up whatever job you are doing and you know the surface is clean and dry with no remaining oil residue for silicone gasketing or whatever. I feel all too many jobs are not really cleaned or dry enough before a product like that is used.