View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcphee View Post
I think it bears repeating that a BRASS brush is used to clean the nozzle area so as not to scratch the metal.

Clarification required: Jeremy did you remove the nozzle pin from the nozzle, then scrub the end of the nozzle, or did you leave the pin in and scrub the lot? And did you do anything special (brass wire?) about cleaning the nozzle pin hole through the nozzle?

thx
Unless I completely misunderstood how the nozzles were made, I didn't find any holes in the injector nozzles of either set of OM603 injectors. (From the #14 head and from the #20 head, the injectors are different.) Even under a microscope the nozzle tips appeared to be solid metal. I did read about holes in the nozzles of OM61x injectors.

I think we need some pictures so we don't talk at cross-purposes. In the 6th picture of my OP, I show all the individual parts. I removed the "nozzle needle" from the "nozzle" and cleaned both, as well as all of the other parts, separately. That included carefully scraping the front surface of the nozzle with a razor blade (after removing the needle), to get the carbon that shows in pictures 3 and 4 off of the nozzle. As you say, it's important to use a brass (soft metal) brush so as not to damage the tips.

When I looked at the nozzle needle under a low-power (20X - 50X) binocular zoom microscope, I could see no holes in the needle. I admit to being somewhat confused because other threads talk about holes in the tip. I concluded that the other threads were talking about OM61x-family engines. Did I miss something?

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970