View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Pooka

Dealing with the Debt......

MN had a gov shutdown about two weeks ago. It made me think of a thread that was on here some months ago about how would the states deal with their budget problems.

I suggested they would issue more Bonds to cover the ones they had already issued. It was pointed out to me that bonds are debt, to which I said, "Yup."

MN just announced they would deal with their debt through the issuing of new bonds. Republicans there are not sure if they should laugh or cry because their big deal was NO NEW TAXES! However, they also said they would be willing to talk about taxes if their social programs were enacted first, but they made no promises.

The Gov told them no new social laws, and the state shutdown. This has not proven to be popular and the Republicans have been getting the blame for the shutdown. Now the bonds are going to be sold to cover the debt of the old bonds.

Nothing has really changed. The debt is still there but some state spending has been cut.

Now the onus is on the Republicans to work for more jobs in the state so state revenues can pick up and the bonds can be paid off. Republicans ran on a ticket of job creation but so far all they have done is work to pass their social programs and none of these have passed.

How different would all of this been if the Republicans had worked for job creation from the first day and not to pass their social agenda? I guess we will never know.