View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
I said that he seems to be trying to get to a solution. It's hard to know for sure. I do not know the specifics of what he has proposed, but people familiar with the negotiations suggest that he has moved quite a bit in their direction. They oppose everything Obama proposes, even when he proposes things they have proposed in the past.I didn't understand that. There must be some procedural explanation for that vote. The vote came and went and people acted like it was no big deal.It took me about 10 seconds to find these: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/05/19/167868/nunes-calls-for-default/ http://bloggingblue.com/2011/05/18/paul-ryan-wall-street-will-be-okay-with-debt-default-for-a-few-days/ Ryan says he doesn't want a default, but he also says that it would not be a big deal. I have heard a number of GOP people express that view, on TV and in private.The math doesn't work on that.I will tell you what's new. What's new is a GOP willing to run the country into a huge hole for no good reason. This is all optional.
The GOP surely has a hand in the willingness to run the country into a huge hole. But, then so does the democrat party. There is blame all around. How can either party not live within a budget? ANY budget? Which party rammed national health care down our throats without a true accounting of the costs? We still cannot afford that trillion dollar boondogle, either.
Also, the dems have failed to pass a budget for something over 800 days---even back to when they help commanding pluralities in both houses AND controlled the WH. THAT is a failure of leadership.

As for the numbers not working, I disagree. We get something around $200B a month into the treasury. The spending ( in case of no extension of the debt limit) would need to be prioritized. If servicing the debt is important, ( and it is),pay that first. Pay SS and military pay checks second. Of course there would be difficult choices, and people would suffer, but it is possible. I won't even say it's desirable, but the gov can pay what it deems most important. Not paying SS would be unconscionable.

Saying the default might not be as catastrophic as some say, is not the same as saying, " lets go into default". And who knows how bad it might be--the warnings are all over the place.

I am still waiting for a democrat plan.
Wasn't this supposed to be the most open and transparent administration in our history? Why all the closed-door stuff? ( I know the answer is that the promise of transparency was just campaigning for office, and no one really expected him to deliver on that promise---business as usual).