View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 12:47 AM
Achieving Salvation

Hope this helps

Hello Cossie:

Read your post tonight and thought I would post a little something that might help you.

I have a 1993 190e 2.6, and I went through the same thing you did a few months back. You are definitely right in thinking that low fuel would not trigger the check engine light.

The check engine list is an emissions control issue and is triggered for a variety of reasons. Depending on what fault code is relayed when the sensor is tripped, there could be any number of problems. There is good news though. MOST likely, the cause of the light coming on is a malfunctioning or non-operational oxygen sensor.

How many miles do you have on your 190? I have 77k, and my oxygen sensor went out when I turned 70k. The MB service manual calls for their replacement at 60k intervals. If your mileage matches up, then this may very well be the cause of your check engine light.

It's not a horrendously expensive fix. I think I had mine replaced for around $150. I'm sure that there will be other posters who would be more than happy to assist you if you are a DIYer -- they can even help you with pulling the fault code and diagnosing the problem yourself.

All in all, it's not the end of the world. The car is still driveable, and you don't have to worry about damage. But you will want to get it taken care of in ample time.

I hope that this was helpful.

Take care and best wishes.
Michael.