View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 06:19 AM
Achieving Salvation

Quote:
Originally posted by cossie

So it's okay for me to drive the car with the CHECK ENGINE light on until I can find a convenient time to take it to a shop?
Good morning cossie:

I would say absolutely! I was in the middle of a medium-sized road trip when my oxygen sensor failed, and the dealership assured me that there really isn't anything you can damage while driving with the check engine light on. You may notice some performance issues when you are driving. In the case of the oxygen sensor, if you keep records of your gas mileage, you will notice a somewhat significant drop in mileage. I probably waited around a week and a half or so before having the repair done. I have a friend who has an Olds Cutlass, and he just celebrated his three year anniversary of driving with his "service engine soon" light -- the GM equivalent to our "check engine light." He's due for an emissions test soon, so he'll have to change his tune sooner or later!

Quote:
Originally posted by gidpor
- On my 103 engine, this light comes on when the car wants me to check the oil level. Needless to say the car is always right
Just a thought. Good Luck
I'm not sure which model gidpor has, but for his model, that may very well be the case. For our 190e's, we have separate warning lamp that will illuminate if there are problems with the oil pressure, or if the oil is running too low.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Best wishes!
Michael Radowicz.