View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
|3iodiesel300T|)

I own a 2004 TDI Jetta wagon, and I worked at a VW diesel shop for a while. This is how I look a VW. They made affordable, economical cars. Nothing lasts as long on the VW's when compared to the MB's. But the parts cost half as much and are often half the size. The old ones are tin cans on wheels. I'd never want to get in an accident in a Rabbit.
VW's in general due suffer from electrical problems, some electrical issues due to water leaks, others not. The fuse block on the older cars is right under where the windshield likes to leak. You do the math. The auto trans are much more prone to failure than the manuals. The autos also eat up some mpg's. The TDI injection pumps are prone to leaking. The pumps can be resealed. I did a few at the shop. The most dangerous leak is the input shaft seal on the front. When I leaks it drips on the timing belt. If you're running biodiesel it can eat up the belt if it's bad enough. Which means a lost timing belt and a whole lot of other issues in a zero clearance engine.

I've owned my TDI for a little over a year now and it has 133k miles on it. I've had to chage the alternator pulley and serp belt tensioner, and thats it. Though I do think I've got either a worn wheel bearing or a axle going out. The POs took care of it, and had no issues, just routine maintanence.
'77 300D ~ Sold