View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Sword of Damocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The suspense is killing me
Well, here's my take on all this : I think the state, the Fed's and school authorities are to blame.

In Europe, the rule is: The school bus must pull away after dropping off the kids before the kids can cross so they have a clear view...... they then exercise the rules they have been taught in school to cross the road.

I have watched in horror as kids leave the bus in the USA and run right out across the road to the other side without a look of caution or even the briefest glance to see if vehicles are coming. I couldn't possible do that...I fear for myself colliding with a vehicle too much to even risk it....I would have to peer around the bus before I could cross over.

This lack of a basic safety element is why I think American school kids have such a disregard for their safety in the road. They have never learned to fear traffic...you see it all the time as they saunter across the local main drag through town and deify the cars by walking slower.

So this kid is a casualty of a system that fails the kids in basic road safety.

I was always taught to look both ways and then once more before crossing the road.
To this end I place the blame upon the authorities for failure to instil this basic safety procedure into the kids that both ride the bus or walk to school.

I know this child was 4 years old, but here I see kids dropped off at pre school running out into the road after mom has opened the door.

As for the mothers culpability, I think the authorities where out of order taking this action as there is no way to totally control events.....and I'm damn sure she would have prevented this event had she been able.

I don't see parents prosecuted for letting little 3 year old Johnny/Mary etc... ride his three wheeler into the road from the drive and get killed by a passing car.