View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzworldrefuge View Post
Why don't you indicate TDC by observing movement of the number one piston. Either pull the head and dial it in or carefully use a tool like a thin screwdriver in the sparkplug hole (with the cams out as suggested) to watch when the piston stops coming up and then continuing rotation until it starts going down. In between those two points is TDC. That should get you to a point where you can make sense of the marks on the crankshaft pulley.

I did this already...using the oil dipstick. and finding out the peak height in cylinder. but the timing marks on the bottom did not show TDC it read 40...which is way off. i re assembled everything again, tried to start it up and it only gave a crank for a second...then it didnt even want to spin as it kinda felt like a siezed engine not getting timing right.

also on this M104 there is a notch on the crank where you can only put the OEM pulley a certain way so that it reads TDC. strange thing is that the thing wont move clockwise past the 40...so something is holding it up from doing so...probably a valve... thus letting me think its going up but not actually going up at the 1st cylinder