View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
You raise an interesting point. If auto buyers in the 1970s and 80s had simply, " bought American" out of patriotism, or other motive, would the cars we drive today be as good as they are? If consumers had settled for what Detroit was then producing would they have ever changed? Is it possible that buying a foreign car in that era actually helped spur the US auto industry to make better products?
Who is the true patriot?
There is also the issue of very, very few companies being truly one nation only. When you buy a subaru or a toyota, etc, how much of that money is dispersed through the local economy, how much in this nation and how much in other nations?

It's not an easy question to answer.

There are some truly local business, local farmers, craftsmen, etc that I will gladly support because I want them to flourish where I live and because I want to support their values.

But, for most purchases, as I see it, it is my role as a consumer to demand the most from the market. Just as a voter I demand the most from those I elect. The analogy is actually quite valid.