View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Refreshing to be abroad ...

Europe has had its share of terrorist problems, but they don't HARP on it as much as the Americans and whip up pointless hysteria. Yeah, London has signs warning to call the police about unattended luggage, etc, but neither London nor Paris have those irritating recordings on their public transport systems like NYC and DC. "If you see something, say something, yadda, yadda, bladdadee, blah." Not to mention the recording on the NYC subway -- "Ladies and Gentlemen, unwanted sexual contact is a crime. Please report..." What are New Yorkers, children or cattle?

Sometimes I feel like the US is stuck in 1984 after 9/11, while the rest of the world has moved on. Whooping up fear of terrorism, war fervor, fear of sex(*). Perhaps 9/11 was so traumatic for the US because the US hasn't seen war on its continental soil for 150 years, whereas France and Europe in general have been through much worse, so the occasional terror attack pales in comparison.

Anyway, refreshing as hell to be out of the US, and seriously contemplating staying in Europe -- with citizenship in an EU country, I can easily get a work permit in any of the Schengen countries, and even Switzerland (not part of the EU, but there are reciprocal treaties that came into effect this year).

I love the US -- would keep my apartment in NYC and rent it out -- but feel like it's been a steady slope downhill since 9/11. Unfunded wars, hysteria, etc. Not to mention the culture of lawsuits and liability that is a big killjoy in the US. Imagine being able to rent a bicycle from an automated kiosk (that's just starting in the US, but many Euro cities have had it for 5+ years). Or hike across private land without risking someone shooting you or calling the police (legal in some countries).

(*) - yeah, the US has made some progress on gay marriage, but it's still VERY conservative and prudish and becoming more so in many ways. Relationships at work that would be looked upon with a wink/nod in many places are frowned upon, as are older woman/younger guy situations.