View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by platt-deutsch View Post
Well, distilled or deionized water will absorb metal ions and deterioration of the metal. That is why metal tubing is almost never used on Reverse Osmosis sytems etc.
Deionized water is exactly that - water that has essentially been stripped of all of its ions. Water likes to be balanced in its natural state, however, and this means that it adds ions to itself to achieve that goal. Therefore, DI water grabs ions from everything it touches that can be dissolved or absorbed. It is about a close as you can get to a Universal Solvent. In your case, it will extract metals from all of the brass fittings you have, and will also pull carbon dioxide from the air - you get the drift.
I completely agree that it is a highly reactive solvent.

I thought that after 20 years of accumulation, a closed system, the DI water would quickly come to equilibrium with the prior deposits, etc.

I'd see your concern much more if it was a continuous influx of DI with the enriched water exiting.

I don't know for sure, never done a detailed analysis, you could be right, but I wonder...

Last edited by sjh; 08-08-2011 at 12:38 AM.