Advice on cutting Burlwood Trim
View Single Post
10-08-2002, 09:30 AM
I modified the burlwood dash piece in my 560sel to accept the readout from a cd changer. I had to cut a hole in it 1 1/2" by 3" . I drilled a pilot hole 1/4" in from finished hole size and used a coping saw with a fine blade to cut the burl. I then carefully used a file to bring the hole to near finished size. I then used contact cement and glued 400 grit sandpaper to a piece of wood and used it as a fishing rasp. I then finished the edge with 1000 grit sandpaper. It goods great. I would suggest clamping the piece in a vise with cloth on the jaws to prevent damage and using the coping saw to within 1/8" of finished size. Then, with the piece clamped horizontally - take a sheet of 200 grit sandpaper and glue it to a piece of wood 2" wide by 11" long (3/4" plywood or particleboard works well). By slowly sanding along the edge it will take it down to almost the right size and with the sandpaper glued to the board - you will be assured of a straight edge. Then use a piece of wood with 400 grit sandpaper glued to it to take it the rest of the way. Then finish with 1000 grit sandpaper making sure you do not hit the face. Apply a coat of polish to the new edge and it should look great. It took me a week to get up the nerve to cut my burl - but it was worth it - everyone thinks the cd display was installed at the factory!!