View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz Dr. View Post
Valve guides don't usually break but they can come loose. I've seen worn or loose guides use a lot of oil. It's possible to have a plugged vent on the valve cover but I really doubt this is the problem.
Don't bother with trying to replace the valve stem seals. It's only useful for a while and they will wear and start leaking quickly. Have a look at your spark plugs. The one/ones with heavy deposits is the cylinder you will be having problems with. Heavy oil consumption in a cylinder with normal compression will cause it to run hot and/or lean out which will burn up piston rings. This will score the cylinder walls.

Once you find which cylnder/s that are affected you may need to remove the head/s to have it repaired.
Thanks....You are saying that one or more cylinders might be at risk.
What I understand from your comment: worn valve guides and worn valve seals initially cause the high oil consumption I was reporting....and then as a consequence...the burning of engine oil causes additional damages...burned up piston rings for instance?
Well I was driving 250 miles only under this condition and I hope none of the rings are affected but if you are correct...I need to remove the cylinder blocks in order to get to the pistons....?
So what needs to be repaired at the cylinder heads? New Valves, new guides? For all cylinders? Or just the ones with the heavy spark plug deposits?