View Single Post
Old 03-15-2000, 08:40 AM
LarryBible

AMGCClass,

Never underestimate the value of dilligent preventive maintenance. If you don't perform this service your car won't refuse to start tomorrow morning. But to keep your car in good shape for many years to come, stay on top of it. I don't know if this is your first Benz, but they are not like alot of other cars. Take care of them and they will run so long, you may eventually even get tired of it before it wears out.

I don't know exactly what's covered in this service, you should have your maintenance schedule with your owners manual. Look it over.

If time's are tough financially, and you're not a do it yourselfer kind of person, ask around and see if you can find a RELIABLE and HONEST independent technician. There are some very good ones out there. There are also some out and out crooks.

In the course of selling a '96 E class a couple of years ago(sure hated to have to sell it), I went with a prospective lady buyer to her independent MB technician. In the course of his looking at the car, he told her that it would require the same service as her previous Benz. He went on to say to her that she would need brake pads AND rotors every 12,000 miles. I was astonished by this. This guy was taking this well heeled real estate lady for a ride.

I expect that he was not even doing the work and charging her for this expensive service along with other things and probably not even doing anything to her car. Thievery.

But I also know another independent tech. who is honest, trustworthy and extremely knowledgable. If you ever have any doubts about what these people are telling you, post questions on this forum. The amount of experience and savvy here is completely mind boggling.

And remember, the only DUMB question, is the one that isn't asked. Everyone I've seen post on this forum is at one of two stages, either looking for help, or finding it.

Lean on these guys, they enjoy it. And buy merchandise from mercedesshop when you can, so we will always have this forum. It's the least we can do for the great service they provide all of us.

Good Luck,

------------------
Larry Bible
'84 Euro 240D, 516K miles
'88 300E 5 Speed
Over 800,000 miles in
Mercedes automobiles