View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
I don't think there is any way that you can spin the starting ring gear on the flywheel. I thing the Bendix drive on the starter is where the problem is. When you replace the starter, are you replacing the solenoid also. If it is slipping, it would slip all the time. If it turns the engine for a few spins and quits but the starter continues turning, then the Bendix assembly in the nose of the starter is not staying in gear. It is the magnetic drive of the solenoid, (on top of the starter) which kicks the drive of the starter into the starter ring gear and holds it in gear. When you release the key from the start position, you pull the power from the starter and the solenoid. I would suspect you have a wiring problem from the switch to the solenoid. I think your problem is much the same as quite a few members of late whose diesel engine starters just up and quit. No power from the starter key to the solenoid. I had that problem on my 85 300D and now on this 83 240D which I converted to a 300D. So I rigged up a bush button starter along side the switch and it works well and is simple to do.

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!