View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Manual Pull Cable/Wire to open trunk, 123

Like many when I bought my Car it only came with the Valet Key. This means you cannot open the Trunk with a Key and must rely on the Central Locking System and Vacuum to open it.

(I have never gotten around to ordering a new Tumbler with both Master and Valet Keys from the Dealer and may never get around to doing that as long as my Ignition Lock Tumbler is OK.)
The above is reason enough to want to have another way to open the Trunk.

In the last several Months I have been having intermittent Vacuum Issues with the Door Locks to the point were if the Car sits for 1 hour the locks do not work.

I have also been trying to recover from a Broken Hip and have not had much interest in troubleshooting the Vacuum Problem.
So what I did was a rush job just to have some fictional manual way of unlocking my Trunk in the Event of a total loss of Vacuum so I could get at my Spare Tire and Tools in the Trunk.

After removing the Cover that goes over the linkages the operate the Trunk Lock I determined that pushing the Linkages towards the Right of the Car allowed you to press on the Trunk Lock Button and open the Trunk.

I drilled a single 1/8” hole; see 2nd pic blue arrow.

I ran stiff Steel wire through the Hole to the Linkage and twisted the Wire onto the Linkage but left it loose.

I made a loop to act as a Wire Guide on the Trunk Spring Bracket.
I routed the wire above the Fuel Tank (I had removed the Fuel Take Sheet Metal Cover several years ago and never put it back) and through the Speaker Hole (I removed the Speaker to do that).
I routed the wire under the Rear Deck and out the Right Side and mad a loop to pull with.

Not nice looking but it works.

As it turned out the Wire is stiff enough that if I pull on it I can go around by Myself and open the Trunk. This also means you need to pull the Wire to loosen it before you close the Trunk so it will lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Manual Pull Cable/Wire to open trunk, 123-zz1.jpg   Manual Pull Cable/Wire to open trunk, 123-zz2.jpg   Manual Pull Cable/Wire to open trunk, 123-zz3.jpg   Manual Pull Cable/Wire to open trunk, 123-zz4.jpg