View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 02:44 AM

MP3 Player in W108 1972 280SE

sjefke & uprightsfan: I have no familiarity with the Becker Mexico.
I would speculate that if you can acquire the schematics for the radio it should be a simple matter to intersect the wiring from the RF section of the radio to the audio section. Presumably all the RF is in the head and audio in the amp.
In which case you simply wire in the MP3 jack the same way I have done it.
I suspect you could either make a cable extension for the din plug to the amp and wire the MP3 jack between the male and female plugs.
Alternatively you could cut into the existing cable to the amp and wire it up to the MP3 jack. I noted there seems to be a very large number of Becker Mexico models, so make sure you note your model when searching for information. :-)
I have a schematic for a Becker Europa Stereo which also has the separate audio amp box.
That might help determine where to tap in for the modification.

Pat you wrote.
Quote:
My only suggestion is that when you make the cable, do NOT think the 3.5mm female audio plug will be the same plug that will protrude from your dash. Use this homemade cable as an intermediary cable that will plug into the dashboard facing 3.5mm audio cable. The reasoning here is that if you want to put a 3.5mm audio jack in your dash (or other place below the dash, like I did), you want to drill a hole as small as possible to flush mount the 3.5mm audio jack, and if you solder the DIN5 connecter on the other end of the cable, then you will need a hole in your dash as big as the DIN5 and it simply will not work as that hole will be too big to flush mount the 3.5mm audio jack. It is actually very simple, but a little hard to explain. Take a look at my pictures of the wiring, as this helps a lot.
The 3.5 jack I used had a small round nut and threaded onto the jack to secure it to the mounting. I only had to drill a very small hole for mounting. Personnel choice; as you can see in the pictures I made a small black cover for the jack that looks like a stock item. Basically totally invisible. On my car I did not need a 90 deg DIN, there was sufficient space behind the radio for the straight plug. This saved me time, as I could not find a 90 locally. Also I can see I should redo the pictures, I have since found a very good cleaner for the console. ;-)

Nice job on your installation Pat.

Doug

Last edited by dquance; 08-26-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: additional information