View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 03:41 PM

Got a Smart car for the night (pics)

My car went to the dealer for a service today; i asked for a Smart car to run around it. They weren't finished with my vehicle when I went by tonight, so I'm holding onto the Smart. It is totally cool.

My model is a Smart & Passion (yeah, sounds like a health drink) convertible. I've been driving round all day, roof down. It has a tiny three cylinder turbocharged engine. The turbo lag is amazing: off the line it creeps up to about 2,500 rpm (this gives you cause to piss yourself when pulling in to heavy traffic) then explodes (well, it feels that way). It has a great exhaust note, like half a 911. The box is a six speed sequential manual. The action needs to be sped up as shifts take about 1.5 seconds from hitting the lever to getting going in the next gear. If you anticipate the delay, though, it is OK. It has an automatic programme, too.

It is a great drive, really nippy once you get used to the killer understeer. You can also surprise other road users with its low gear turn of speed. I passed an Aston Martin Vanquish flat out at 85, roof down, too. Obviously he wasn't trying.

Men do not like the car. Bus drivers think they can abuse you. But women... women love it. I got loads of smiles, winks and thumbs up from babes. It has a really cute horn, too, so when any babes waved at me I'd give them a honk.

The roof action is really cool, too. The full length sunroof opens electronically; then you can drop the rear section manually; then you can remove the side rails and store them in the boot.

Anyway, here are the pics. Sorry, but it was dark by the time I came home from the boozer: it is almost winter here (note to all you guys in "SoCal": winter happens once a year in other parts of the world and lasts for ages; it gets really cold and dark).

1993 E300 diesel T
1990 190