View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 AM
...like a shield of steel

You come across the strangest of people when trying to buy second hand parts!

Here's yet another example of the madness you come up against while trying to get second hand parts...

I'm trying to get some good quality body metal work to fix the problems detailed in this thread:-

My W123 saloon / sedan old accident repair (and a bit of rust repair) thread

I came across a bloke who apparently had driven his coupe into a tree. I guess the front end is a write off.

I worked out that if the body was as good as he said it was I could use some parts of it for my sedan even though he's got a coupe.

He wanted 45 euros a body bit but has no way of getting them out himself...

I then found out that he doesn't have an engine hoist or spring compressor (and heaven only knows what else he needs) so I offered to come and work for a day (with my tools) helping him remove bits that he can't remove but wants to sell and then cut out the bits I need. I didn't mention how much I'd pay him for the bits - I didn't get that far - he worked it out for himself.

He reckons that I'd need to pay him 180 euros for the parts I want plus 300 euros for his time to take off the bits he wants to sell... so he concluded all by himself that I wouldn't be interested in that deal!

It is a strange strange world.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!

Last edited by Stretch; 08-30-2011 at 03:51 AM.