View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Registered Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter View Post
For members considering the W201.

Looking for your unbiased thoughts now (years later).
Has your view changed, and why?

I guess I didn't have much of a view before I bought one except that the chassis was intended to be a cheaper, entry-level model for the Mercedes owner. I was concerned about build quality only because of that.

I can say though, after 2 years of OM601 diesel ownership that most of the main body components hold up as well as a W123.

Some failures:

-- door check straps and their mounting points to the jamb / chassis seem to to fatigue and fail. To repair this effectively requires ingenuity and a level of Rube Goldberg... or to do it correctly - intense bodywork and welding.

-- Trans is no weaker than the W123 era when considering the OM601 application. Low power, less stress... my trans has 296k miles on it and shifts fine after a Superior Shift Kit install , although sometimes with a weak 1-2. Still, it is worn out and I am waiting for the day it gives up.

-- interior door panels are cheap and warp easy with moisture, but fixable to a degree.

--Cluster is fully functional although the electrical gremlins are present and noticed. It is below W123 standards in terms of accuracy, but not in terms of longevity.

-- power window regulators will need attention. I have repaired mine and it was not difficult; they are made to be accessible. The design is cheap, but light and functional for a good span of time.

-- Paint is weaker than W123. Perhaps this is biased since my W123 had a single stage paint and the bronze paint on my W201 had dual stage (clear coat)

-- It seems like there is more rubber on the W201 suspoension to fail and repair... but it is well worth the handling, ride and accessibility upgrade from a W123.

I think the W201 is less prone to rust than a W123, but there is more plastic.

I would recommend the chassis to anyone interested that is able to repair engines or at least swap in a rebuilt unit.