View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 PM

The Hack Strikes Again

From some other work I've done on it, I gathered that a previous owner of my Ninja was a hack, most likely belonging to the order of Teuthida. Today I finally decided to investigate why the high beam on the headlight doesn't work. First off, I found only two wires going to the headlight instead of the three called for in the factory wiring diagram. Tracing these I found a box about the size of a cigarette pack that wasn't on the diagram and which was zip tied on. After a bit of messing around, I determined that The Hack decided it would be a good idea to remove the original H4 halogen bulb and installed a (most likely cheaply made Chinese) not exactly legal HID "conversion kit" that puts an HID bulb inside the halogen reflector.

Now I get to figure out what it's going to take to convert it back to the proper configuration, or just not do much night riding and let it go until I switch bikes in a year or two. Stupid cephalopod PO

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 400,xxx miles
08 Suzuki GSX-R600 M4 Slip-on 22,xxx miles
88 Jaguar XJS V12 94,xxx miles. Work in progress.