View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 PM

1989 300E Alternator generating 17V - Too High Voltage

Need some help here...Had cold start problem with my son's 1989 300E. Then stalling and died a few times at college. Jump started it and brought it home. Thought it was the battery since it would'nt hold a charge and my son complained of sulfur smell and fumes from the battery area. Replaced it with a brand new one. Still cold starting and stalling. Checked OVP relay - fuse was blown - replaced it and it blew again without the car being turned on so checked the relay and it was really bad. I replaced with a brand new OVP relay from ******** on Monday. While I was at it I also replaced with a brand new Bosch Voltage Regulator from ********. Car starts and runs fine now but I noticed alternator is producing 17.5V at battery so obviously something still wrong. I removed and reinstalled original Voltage Regulator (brushes were about halfway down) - still 17.5V. Put the brand new one back in - still 17.5V. Most posts I have seen talk about LOW Voltage conditions from Alternator - I have the reverse - HIGH voltage condition. I am pretty sure 17V is not good for the battery so I am not driving the car.

Any suggestions on why I am getting 17.5V and if I should replace the alternator or try to buy yet another Voltage Regulator? I am in Potomac, MD - anybody near by want to help this long weekend?