View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Took it out to the local reservoir today--about 10 miles away. However, didn't get any sailing in. The outboard wasn't pumping water and I wasn't comfortable just sailing it for the first time with zillions of powerboats around everywhere. Anyone troubleshoot a Honda 4 cycle 2 horse that won't pump water?
Could be nothing more than a bug nest built in the pisser outlet on the motor. Take a small drill or rod and poke up in the pisser to see if it's clear of obstructions. Otherwise, if that motor sat for a long time, the rubber of the pump impeller could have fused to the inside of the pump housing. If that's the case, running it probably destroyed the impeller and it will need to be replaced.

Not a difficult job to replace the impeller. Running rivers and creeks with my 30hp Yamaha I'd get in enough mud and grit that I'd do the impeller every year as part of the preseason maintenance. Took 30-40 minutes.

Find a Clymers or Haynes on that motor and you'll be in pretty good shape. Make sure to fish out all the bits of the old one before bolting it all back together.