View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
I'm by no means an expert, but wonder about the specific temps used and rationale.

For example, the manufacturers may choose thermostats and temps that are a bit cooler than expected to compensate for unexpected conditions. They might want to stay away from 100c/212f in case someone runs water for some reason.

If the goal is higher MPG and if higher temps can get you there (more or less safely), are there other things that can complement it? Like blocking part of the radiator in order to reduce drag, or an electric fan with a higher set point so it stays off until a higher temp?

The linked thread starts off with warnings about oil temp. Would you add instrumentation to monitor that?

I believe you can improve mpg at the margins by some vehicle mods, but I think the biggest factor is still the right foot.

Don't disagree about the "right foot mod"-makes a huge difference. Aero mods can also be quite effective, although I still want to retain the cars full heat rejection capability so unless I create automatic adjustable leuvers I would need to leave it open. Your probably right on the coolant temps and the water issue.

On my jetta TDI I disabbled my low speed fans so they don't come on where they would have come on before(haven't noticed much MPG improvement from that). These mercedes use the mechanical clutch type fan(as far as I know?), so unless I were to add an electric fan I may not be able to gain anyhing there. Electric fan would be the way to go however IMHO. I'm thinking about running a 195 Deg F T-stat in the E300D, and that's not too far off stock temps(approx 10 degrees higher) anyhow.

Does the 1999 E300D use an air to oil heat exchanger or a coolant to oil oil heat exchanger?