View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks all. I was told in the tech forum (that I posted in first before relaizing there was a vintge section) that the relays are for emiisions only and are not needed. Meltedpanda, I read quite a bit of your other post, sounds like you have been aorund the barn a few times with your car too!

Here is my story: I picked this car up for a great price from the second owner. She said it was working/ running well, but she got a new car, it sat for about a year and now it wouldnt start, etc, etc. My previous MB experience is with a 1967 200D (that I still have) and a '75 280C that never has had major issues, so please forgive any ignoriance I show in dealing with a gas engine MB.

Here is what she is doing, Simply put, she will try to start but not turn over. Here is what I know: 1) The battery is good 2)The starter is good (or else it wouldnt try to turn over right?), 3) the fuel pump is a newer aftermarket setup and is good (it fills the clear sight tube in the line when I try to start her). 4) The ignition coil is good (I ran it for about a week in my 280c to test) but does not put out spark (so it is not getting power right?). 5) the key turns over and starts the fuel pump, starter, etc. And that is it.

I am thinking at this point that the first thing I need to do is to figure out why the coil is not getting any power therefore not sending power/ spark out. Further down the line I may have fuel issues and spark plug and distributor issues, but first things first. The thing that strikes me as most odd is that there are only two tiny wires feeding the coil (one being a ground the other being a brown wire). Another thing that is odd is what the heck is that heatsink looking thing that about 10 wires are hooked to behind the drivers side headlight. It feeds some of the wires up to the coil and it looks somewhat corroded and I havent gotten a chance to dig into it, but testing the wires where they come from and the ends, it seems like everyhting that I can find is getting good electrical connection. At this point I am about to dig into the ignition to see if there is a wiring issue there and if there is a switch issue. Of course the person that I bought the car from made an off hand comment about how the original owner messed with a bunch of the wiring. Goodness knows what reason or what he did. Please stop me if I am not on the right track. THANKS!!