View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Anywhere I Roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkveuro View Post
If you live alone, you may understand how screaming at the tv or radio is not so therapeutic as talking or even writing about what bugs you. Don't get me started on the word...BLOG !

Eventually you begin to find out your actually not alone in this irritation.

My least favourite word right now is: issues...Issues? All the 'talking heads' are using it like it infers they are intellectual or something...a little while ago it was Gravitas. !

What happened to, problem, difficulty, trouble, condition, corollary, etc..or even a periodical..Pretentious use of other words, causing a rise in blood pressure that you feel a need to share, please feel free to post below.

I wonder how many words others of you feel the same about. Some? Few? Many?

I always though 'issue' was about .....''coming forth'' or,'' flowing out" ...so I looked it up...and by George, am right! So for your delectation and edification here's the definition of ISSUE according to Webster.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1is·sue
noun
\ˈi-(ˌ)shü, chiefly Southern ˈi-shə, chiefly British ˈis-(ˌ)yü\
Definition of ISSUE
plural : proceeds from a source of revenue (as an estate)
: the action of going, coming, or flowing out : egress, emergence
: a means or place of going out : exit, outlet
: offspring, progeny
a : a final outcome that usually constitutes a solution (as of a problem) or resolution (as of a difficulty) b obsolete : a final conclusion or decision about something arrived at after consideration c archaic : termination, end
a : a matter that is in dispute between two or more parties b (1) : a vital or unsettled matter (2) : concern, problem c : the point at which an unsettled matter is ready for a decision
: a discharge (as of blood) from the body
a : something coming forth from a specified source b obsolete : deed
a : the act of publishing or officially giving out or making available b : the thing or the whole quantity of things given out at one time
— is·sue·less adjective
— at issue
: in a state of controversy : in disagreement
also in issue : under discussion or in dispute
See issue defined for English-language learners »
See issue defined for kids »
Examples of ISSUE

She is concerned with a variety of social issues.
Water purity is a public health issue.
The President's speech addressed a number of important issues.
campaign issues like education and defense
The issue is poverty, not race: to talk about race is simply to confuse the issue.
The case involves some complicated legal issues.
He should stop dodging the issue and make a decision now.
There's an interesting article on page 12 of this issue.
the most recent issue of the magazine

Origin of ISSUE
Middle English, exit, proceeds, from Anglo-French, from issir to come out, go out, from Latin exire to go out, from ex- + ire to go; akin to Gothic iddja he went, Greek ienai to go, Sanskrit eti he goes
First Known Use: 14th century
Related to ISSUE
Synonyms: aftereffect, aftermath, backwash, child, conclusion, consequence, corollary, development, fate, fruit, effect, outcome, outgrowth, precipitate, product, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, upshot
Antonyms: antecedent, causation, cause, occasion, reason

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you feel the need to flame me , go ahead, I don't mind, just tell me what you think.
I look forward to seeing what others find irritating.

BTW...It doesn't have to be language...it can include anything.

By way of reinforcement, I offer this link in my defence....

..Warning...If Anglo-Saxon invectives and gutter English expressionism is likely to offend, do not link to this page:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

So...Fire away...........

NB.

Above subject to revision and editing from time to time.

Maybee you can consider getting a dog, or another pet, perhaps they will understand your angst.