View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/graham_oppy/review-s.html

That's a very thorough review. Based on the content of that review, it appears to me that Schroeder's view of an ancient book is magical. He thinks that a book written a couple of thousand years ago contains information which has been only recently learned in very specific disciplines which have only been in existence for a few hundred years. How is that possible? Certainly the original authors of the book couldn't have known in advance all these things and would have had no ability to put into writing concepts which were completely absent from their own culture. The only way it could happen would be if some magic was going on. The authors of the text weren't the real authors of the text but some being capable of knowing the future and the relative state of cosmology in the late 20th century and tailoring the book to that state of cosmology which will almost certainly be superceded by alternative cosmologies in the future. I find such a view incredible.
Schroeder's book covers many areas. I have chosen to discuss one that I believe is the least speculative and most amenable to discourse with people from differing backgrounds.

One (by all means not all) of Schroeder's ideas is derived from Jewish mysticism. It is NOT what I have discussed on this thread. I am uncertain what I think about it. Since I believe in God and His divine revelation to Abraham it could be. But it is not, at all, what I have chosen to discuss here.

The mysteries of evolution are what I have written. I was quite surprised but what I have read.