View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 05:32 PM

I've had two W115s and have dealt with this problem both times. Unfortunately the only real lasting solution is to pull the dash and heater box (and evacuate the A/C system) and replace the fan motor. What I saw both times was a motor which seized due to lack of use and moisture getting inside. The motor sits in a place where it is easy for water to get to the motor from outside the car. I was able to get the motors working again, but it was a project both times due to burnt brush holders and bushings seized to the motor shaft. Yes, the bushings would turn in the motor, but they were turning against the end plates instead of the shaft turning in the bushing. What I think happens with these motors is they seize due to lack of use, then someone comes along and turns on the switch. Then the brush holders melt because the motor is locked and drawing excessive current. Now, I did get the motors working again, but it isn't a procedure I would use for a paying customer since the bushings and motor shaft are now somewhat corroded and the brush holders are now made of JB Weld with the flexible brush lead simply lying against the brush itself. To properly rebuild one of these motors would entail finding suitable new brushes and having the brush holders made somewhere, as well as being able to fit new bushings on a polished shaft.