View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 AM

A few thoughts I have about this subject, in no way do i mean to argue with anyone.

-The fossil record is VERY incomplete, I have heard estimates that we only have fossils of less than 10% of the species that have existed at one time or another.

-There are very few fossils older than ~600 million years ago that are well preserved enough to even be sure what they were.

-I have heard from more than one person working in this field (teachers with Phds in paleontology, etc) that there are some lines of research that are not allowed. Basically when the majority decides something (like that the earth was at the center of the solar system, or that plate tectonics was not possible, etc) it does not go well for anyone who does any research or publishes papers that suggest they don't agree with the majority view.

I do find this subject very interesting, I have taken several classes about such things. One thing I found interesting is that global warming (and high CO2) seems to have actually been good for life in general (diversity and amount of life) from past evidence.