View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002, 01:05 PM

I have to weigh in on this subject. College football is an all-consuming passion of mine. Football at my alma mater has been a part of my life for 40 years. In fact, most of the women I've dated or married fall into the same general appearance characteristics as Arizona State's homecoming queen in 1968 (I happened to sit behind her during the game). Now, as fate would have it, I do part-time work for the sports network which produces the radio broadcasts of our football and basketball games. The other day my girlfriend and I were bemoaning the fact that because of our situations, we don't get to see enough of each other - alone without our respective children. Then, I looked at my schedule and realized that out of our last six regular season games, four are on the road and since we're currently 5-2 and undefeated in Pac-10 play (until Saturday, that is) we will likely be in a bowl game at the end of the year - most likely on December 25th or 26th, of all dates.

There's nothing more all-consuming to me than the five hours beginning an hour before gametime when the pregame show goes on to the close of the post-game show when everybody is running for the charter. At a road game in San Diego, I got my 13-year old son a credential and he spent the evening charting drives for us. Even though I'm very clock-conscious during games, it's always a surprise to me when the game is over. As we were packing to go, I noticed that my son had that same bewildered look. He'd gotten so involved that he'd forgotten that the game could actually end. We talked about it long into the night. We have a deal that before he turns 18, he'll have seen a game in every Pac-10 stadium and that we'll have gone to a Rose Bowl game with our team as a participant. So far, we've nearly covered the California schools and, of course, the Arizona schools. It's the Washington and Oregon schools that are a little more difficult.

It's a complete surprise that we are one of only 3 undefeated teams left in the Pac-10 and after our game Saturday afternoon with Oregon it's highly unlikely we'll remain unbeaten in conference play, but you never know. That's why they play the games.

Snibble - what's the current thinking on Toledo's job life expectancy? Are fans getting tired of him? The administration?

Go Sun Devils!

His:
2003 Dodge Durango SLT
2002 BMW E39 530i Sport
1988 Mercedes 300TE
Hers:
2003 Chevrolet Suburban
1999 E430