View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
Garbage, garbage, garbage. Sell it while you can. Had one for 3 years from 25k to 75k... another I bought at auction recently a dumped it. Same repeated problems with those and on the BMW forums.

Where shall we begin...

The tires are from the factory out of alignment and wear unevenly. This is a problem with all 4.4i sports that cannot be fixed since the wheels are so wide. $400 a tire every 15-20k miles.

Next we move to the suspension, which can't hold up well on regular city roads, let alone anything off road. Don't expect much past 75,000 miles on that.

If you turn the wheel to full lock very often it will tear the front axle boots.

Cooling system: All made of poor plastic and breaks. Intake gasket leaks and the engine starts drinking coolant with the 4.4i.

Transmission: "Lifetime" fluid kills them.

Engine: 15,000 miles or 1 year oil changes sludges them up. the 4.4i can take the abuse but the 3.0 will start sludging up and using oil.

Accessories: Suspension air pump will fail early. Power steering pump will fail early. window motors will fail early.

Electronics: Let's see how long it takes for you to break the electronic latch for the rear hatch. Are their more dead pixels in the dash and stereo than living? It also always thinks that one of the tail lights is out when they aren't. I even had a tail light socket short out and melt on me.

What else? Inside door latch quality is worse than a 10 year old Kia and will break off in your hand at some point. The leather is not close quality wise to anything MB has done. Enjoy random rattles and noises, and the constant dread.

Also, people will assume you are an a-hole for driving one.

It makes the first generation ML seem like a tank in comparison.
i did do some research on the bmw forums. ive seen some of these issues. the tires on there are Nexen's so the set was $530, reciept is in glove box.
the only thing i noticed with the car wrong so far is the cv boots are cracked as you mentioned. and the pixels in the radio are all burned out. there are some cool features in the car. but my current family car is my 01 suburban 1500. it is wonderful, ive had no problems except the A/C and auto ride. My original AC compressor went at 299k, and the auto ride started acting up at 250k. ive recently redone everything in my suburban. My brake lines blew about 2k miles ago. so i re undercoated, changed all lines. did all brakes. changed windshield and grill(they were just pitted) i bought new upholstery and re did everything. the suburban is great. i dont think the x5 will compare to it. however the bmw has some nice power when needed.
2013 SL 600

Non MBs

02 Ford F250 Lariat 4 Quad Cab 7.3 Diesel 95k
01 Chevy Suburban 249K LT 5.3 V8
88 Saab SPG Convertible 32k
06 Lincoln Mark LT 59k
62 VW Bug
52 Bentley Mark IV
53 GMC half Ton Pickup
08 VW Beetle convertible 2k
07 bmw x5 4.8i 17k
03 bmw x5 4.4i 40k