View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 PM

finally took care of my fuel gauge problem...

Well, I had some extra time today so I decided to figure out one of the more annoying things on my '83 300D turbo. The fuel gauge does the usual jumping around, and never shows less than quarter of a tank. Really annoying, especially now that I'm driving it 50 miles a day.

I searched and read all the other posts related to this, and set to work. I decided to start with just cleaning the connector, but it was spotless. So I ended up taking out the whole sender and cleaning it. Thought I would share pictures of the process in hopes that it might help someone else out. Anyway, on with the pics:

removed the first aid kit

top of sender:

not too bad, pins where nice and clean:

since there was no problem with the connection, I decided to remove the sender. Channel locks did the trick:

fuel sender removed:

bottom cap removed:

gently tapped the sender apart:

yummy... I wouldn't be surprised if this has ever been apart

sender unit removed carefully:

gently cleaned with brake clean and a small toothbrush, with extra care cleaning the contacts:

reinstalling:

all set, lubed seal with some fresh diesel before installing:

had to do something about this foam insulation:

I am very happy with the result, fuel gauge works PERFECTLY now! I didn't even know there was a low fuel light! Needle is rock solid and doesn't bounce anymore.

This was a fairly simple job, took about an hour taking my time, being careful. Very impressed with this design, lightyears better than the late model VW senders I'm used to working with.

Check one more thing off of the LONG list of tasks to do on this car.

WTB: W123 Passenger doors - preferably Brown!