View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
He/Him

Door checks... Chinese crap

I recently bought 2 door checks so that the doors would stop annoying my wife.

The prices I got were Uro $15, Meyle $25, OE $45. I hate Uro so I went with Meyle upon the recommendation of a parts guy whose name is the adjective one would use for describing something of having a ferrous-oxide quality to it. I value his opinion so I bought Meyle.

I installed one last night, or rather tried to install one. It was rainy and my wife was leaving for work several hours earlier than normal at 6:30 so I ended up doing it at 11:30pm out at the end of the driveway with a drop light.

Everything went fine until I tried to insert the connection pin into the door frame. It wouldn't budge. I tapped with a hammer about a hundred times on it trying to get it to go in, but it wouldn't move so much as a millimeter.

So just for kicks I tried pushing the pin into the arm of the door check. IT WON'T FIT. I tried widening the hole with a screwdriver, but in my haste I think I torqued the arm in the process and broke the door check. Now it clicks loudly whenever you open the door. And it's currently held in place with the handle of a broken jeweler's screwdriver.

I tried the other one I bought as well. Has anyone else had a problem with aftermarket door checks?

I think I'm back to my old ways of getting them at junkyards...

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]